1. Sigur Ros/Primus 3D. SR probably would've taken the cake if I wasn't distracted by my buddy and his horrendous drunken mushroom trip for much of the show. Epic (to finally use that word in its proper context), beautiful, and well put-together. And Primus just fucking brought it. The musical relationship of Lalonde and Claypool is just astounding to witness. Plus that 3d was the tits.
2. Grimes. I was in a perfect position soundwise - incredibly impressive performance. Lights, the dancers, and the woman herself. What a charismatic demon.
3. Danny Brown. Just great. High energy, got the crowd wilding out, and hilariously drunk. Good setlist too.
4. Red Fang. Great way to open the fest. Righteous rif***e.
5. Dirty Projectors. Put on a fantastic show despite the rain. Sound was excellent, they all played exceptionally well. Dave's the man.
Honourable Mentions: Torche, Holy Ghost!, Father John Misty, El-p
If you're wavering on going to see Akron it might be better not to go. I took some friends to the show here a few weeks back who were iffy on their recorded stuff and they absolutely hated it. It's a lot louder and droney in person than it is on the record.
Gramma's gonna be at Akron/Family, stingray. Don't sweat it, though; if you don't end up running into me over the course of the weekend, that just means that you weren't really looking. Just keep an eye out for a dude with hella long hair who is wearing the Party Pants. Can't miss 'em.
Oh I won't - even with that post now deleted, the man in the party pants is forever burned into my memory.
And I too am only more excited at the prospect of louder/dronier. I'm anticipating catching the opening thirty of Akron/Family before moonwalking to the Chupacabra.
And, incidentally, if anyone sees a Raoul Duke lookalike or a Space Jam jersey, come say hi.
Yeah, I'm pretty choked I wasn't a squatcher when the Beastie Boys came. Wish I could've seen one of my favourite rap groups at my favourite venue.
The Roots' MCA tribute last year was about as close as I'll get...sigh.
In conflict news, I'm inching ever closer to the Holy Ghost! side of the battle, away from Akron and Co, but the phrase "gametime decision" comes to mind. Haven't seen either of them, not really sure if one makes more sense than the other in terms of touring frequency (I'm from Vancouver.)
I do like beach balls...and seeing HG would serve as partial reparations for missing James Murphy's set last year...
If you're gonna give him a listen get Mature Themes. I saw him open for FLAMING FUCKING LIPS as well and he put on a good show. That was in 2010... apparently he's even better nowadays. I'm pretty big on Alt-j as well but if they aren't too great live than I may just have to boogie on down to the Yeti.
I was pretty set on Japandroids, but Schoolboy Q is starting to entice me. Mainly because I live in Van and will likely have a chance to see the former again, and the last time SQ tried to enter the country he got denied. Moreover, I feel like I should embrace this Rapsquatch lineup by trying to watch as much hip hop as possible. Probably will be a gametime decision.
1. Sigur Ros 2. Primus 3. Danny Brown 4. Vampire Weekend 5. Earl Sweatshirt 6. Death Grips 6. El-P/Killer Mike (performing back to back, I would hope) 7. Red Fang 8. Torche 9. Tame Impala 10. Devendra Banhart
Honorable Mentions: Grimes, Azaelia Banks, Dirty Projectors, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Tallest Man on Earth, Schoolboy Q and Ab-Soul, Japandroids
1. Sigur Ros 2. Vampire Weekend 3. Danny Brown 4. Death Grips 5. Dirty Projectors 6. Primus 7. Earl Sweatshirt 8. Torche 9. Red Fang>>Japandroids 10. El-p
Hard to exclude: Akron/Family, Tame Impala, Grimes
(and still very excited)
Man. I even did this one without looking at my prior two and it still came out virtually the same...even with my lineup research. Oh well. Stroked as fudge.
1. Sigur Ros 2. Primus 3D 3. Vampire Weekend 4. Red Fang 5. Torche 6. Dirty Projectors 7. Death Grips 8. Danny Brown 9. El-P 10. Grimes
Honourable Mentions: Akron/Family, Earl Sweatshirt, Tame Impala
Last Edit: May 2, 2013 10:12:57 GMT -8 by stingray
Actually, speaking of rappers, I was gonna put this out there: I'm thinking that it's very likely Earl Sweat will be performing with other members of Odd Future - Tyler or Domo, I'd guess. To date I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that he's ever performed without at least one other member of OFWGKTA, even at his solo shows. I don't see him choosing Sasquatch as the place to cut his teeth.
Plus, having one of those two there would fatten up his catalogue substantially.