That was the plan, yeah. Basically, I didn't introduce myself (1) because that's not my deal (that's not my deal) that's not my deal (that's not my deal) that's not my deal and (2) I was having a really really really fantastic weekend and - not that I thought you guys would ruin it or anything - but I didn't want to mess with any of the variables or anything. I made a sincere-ish effort to look for y'all during Yellow Ostrich and couldn't find squat unless y'all were the pug. And if you were, "Y U NO" (haha, right? good + original joke) mention it in the thread? I literally opened the thread on my phone looking for some sort of indicator mention and couldn't find any. Nothin but love doe
Yah, newjersey apparently was within five feet of us all weekend.
You're a weird dude, dude.
1. Yes 2. I got my reasons and they're pretty much the same reason I've been, to give the game away, half-considering having a really awesome or elaborate 999th or 1000th post and then just being done here. No dis, you guys are awesome and all but I don't really think I fit with y'all (not a pity party, either, I have and will continue to fit some places), primarily because literally every single one of my posts is about me and lack that sort of communal buddy-buddy feel I think (and you guys should probably think) makes this place great. I care about that sort of stuff. 3. The [REDACTED] comment was for bands I literally saw but only stuck around at for a minute for whatever reason; I forgot to take a picture of Araabmuzik but he would've gotten the same.
1. Hey Marseilles 2. The Joy Formidable (in retrospect this one sucked) 3. AraabMuzik 4. Polica 5. Shabazz Palaces 6. I actually don't remember, but I'm 95% it's Explosions In The Sky 7. St. Vincent 8. Tenacious D 9. Bon Iver
Best Set of the Weekend (Unexpected Division) Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. The 1pm Mainstage timeslot was the strongest of the weekend, as Charles Bradley, D.E.Jr.Jr., and Grouplove all put on "wake-up" type sets where the performers' energy transferred as opposed to annoyed. This was the biggest surprise of the weekend and I am shocked more people aren't talking about it at least media-wise. This is the only band of the weekend that earned the coveted "leave pit, walk to Easy Street, buy album" process. The big downside is that now I have to recommend a band with the worst name imaginable.
Best Sets of the Weekend (Expected Division) The three main headliners plus Alabama Shakes. I had to leave St. Vincent and Ted Leo early, which sucked, but I'll see 'em again some time; Beirut gets an honorable mention.
So Here's My Top Five, presented with a big ol' SORRY CHARLIE 1. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr., strictly because they had the added "surprise" factor 2. Bon Iver 3. Jack White 4. Alabama Shakes 5. Beck
This was my fourth Sasquatch, and I've some some odd acts get paired to play the same stage back-to-back, fans with really low fan overlap. Animal Collective into The Decemberists, maybe 20% overlap. MIA into Modest Mouse, 20% TOO. They Might Be Giants into Kid Cudi. Santigold into Gogol Bordello, 10%. Flight Of The Conchords into The Mars Volta, 8%. Monotonix into The Knux, 3%. These numbers may change afterward, granted.
But then there was Jamey Johnson into Childish Gambino.
Fucking 0%, I guarantee this one. Sasquatch, you are one crazy motherfucker.
Alright, it's the night before I head west so this should be roughly accurate.
1. Bon Iver I'm gonna cry, y'all.
2. St. Vincent Gets to be ahead of Jack White only because every time I listen to anything from Strange Mercy I get excited about how it's gonna sound live.
3. Jack White yeop
4. Tenacious D I have intentionally avoided the new album. The material will be fresh! I am sure the album with a penis on it is gonna make me forget all about Dan Haroh fuck i just remembered it nooooo i'm sad now
5. Yellow Ostrich About damn time I've seen these guys. Not higher because I've got tickets for 'em later in case something goes wrong or something??
6. The Joy Formidable Higher than several bands I haven't seen already. Yeah. You get excited too.
7. Beirut Would be much lower but I have missed them (I think) ten times since 2008. Lemme count. Sasquatch 2008, Bonnaroo last year, like every time they've been to New York, twice in Pittsburgh... yeah. Plus I'll be in the pit gettin' ready to cry at Bon Iver. Hit me up my number is
8. Beck Lower than where he should be only because I have no idea what to expect and not a strong enough grasp on his material to ensure I won't be BORED!!
9. Ted Leo I'M NEW JERSEY
10. Santigold The excitement has nothing to do with the artist.
others Grouplove Hey Marseilles Polica Alabama Shakes Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr