Nicole Moudaber is definitely my favorite Yuma tent discovery. She makes really deep, pulsating, techno that seems like it will rattle you to your bones live. Check her out for sure! I think aside from her, Hot Since 82, Anna Lunoe, and Bicep might be a few more I'm looking forward to most this year.
After hours of preliminary research, this is my list of artists I'd like to at least try to catch.
Aloe Blacc Anna Lunoe Anti-Flag Art Department Banks Bear Hands Bicep Blood Orange Bombay Bicycle Club Bonobo Cajmere Caravan Palace Chromeo Chvrches Classixx ††† Damian Lazarus Darkside Daughter Davide Squillace Dillon Francis Disclosure Dixon DJ Falcon Duck Sauce Duke Dumont Empire of the Sun Factory Floor Fatboy Slim Fishbone Flight Facilities Flosstradamus Flume Frank Turner Galantis Gareth Emery Guy Gerber Haim Hot Since 82 Jaguar Ma James Vincent McMorrow John Newman Laurent Garnier Lee Burridge Little Dragon Lorde Maceo Plex Mogwai Motorhead Muse Netsky Neutral Milk Hotel Nicole Moudaber Nina Kraviz OutKast Pet Shop Boys Pharrell Williams Poolside RL Grime Rudimental Scuba Shlohmo Skrillex Solange Solomun The Glitch Mob The Knife The Martinez Brothers The Naked & Famous The Preatures Tiga TJR Trombone Shorty & Orleans Ave Washed Out Waxahatchee White Lies Woodkid Wye Oak Young & Sick
Fuck you all. Skrillex and Muse both put on fun live shows.
I've been working my way through the lineup and I have some questions.
1. Someone give me a starting point for the Replacements please. 2. Who's Zedd? Is he just another typical 'wait for the drop' dude? He's pretty high up on the lineup and I know nothing about him. 3. Almost everything in the last 3 lines of Friday I know nothing about (exceptions: Kate Nash, ZZ Ward, Anti Flag, Wye Oak), what am I missing in there? 4. Starting point for Pet Shop Boys? 5. Lower line recommendations for Sunday? I have to fill 2 days with that lineup, but I'll probably just end up seeing Beck, NMH and STRFKR twice at this point.
1. No idea. Never really got into them and don't think they're quite my thing.
2. Zedd is a shitty DJ that plays shitty dubstep and top 40 bangers.
3. My favorite finds from the 3 lowest Friday lines: Hot Since 82, Damian Lazarus, Nina Kraviz, Duke Dumont, Solomun, Dixon, David Squillace (All of these artists are likely to be in the Yuma tent). Caravan Palace (electro-swing!), DJ Falcon (party music DJ), ††† (Chino from Deftones side project. Very good stuff), The Preatures (cute indie rock band with attitude and male and female vocals).
4. I've never listened to much of the Pet Shop Boys, but judging from their live videos you don't really need to be an expert on their discography to enjoy their show. They look like an absolute balls to the wall dance party.
5. Just discovered Rudimental. Holy hell do they look fun. Others that you might like...Fishbone (awesome old school punk/ska band), James Vincent McMorrow (from what I've heard, he sounds like a mix of Bon Iver and James Blake. Good stuff), J Roddy Walston & The Business (party rock/punk band), Anna Lunoe (sexy female vocals and beats), Scuba (dubstep/bass music producer), Bicep (great Yuma tent DJ).
She also went on about her obsession with costumes and glitter (I already kind of want to marry this girl) so I asked her if she's ever run into a guy that goes by Goldbeard and has a gold beard. Turns out she has not. STEP UP YOUR SHIT GOLDBEARD.