Post by Friendly Destroyer on Jun 3, 2010 14:19:18 GMT -5
These are my top five tied for best show
Drive-By Truckers - For those of us that have been seeing them for years it was pretty heartbreaking to hear Chester had died on Tuesday, for a long time that was a story that went from doom (Chester's terminal cancer), then to joy (Chester beating cancer and making it to his daughter's wedding), and now it has it's ending. RIP Chester. Plus John Neff doing slide guitar throughout the set was something new, and man is it ever fuckin' enjoyable. The new songs also killed!
MMJ - One of my favorite bands, I've seen them many many times before, including the 4 hour 2008 Bonnaroo set, this was by far the best I have ever seen them. They absolutely destroyed!
Massive Attack - What the fuck was that???????!!!!!! So awsomely loud, blew my mind into the next state!
Ween - My first Ween show, good fucking lord I have been missing out! One of the best shows I have ever seen.
LCD Soundsystem - They slightly edge out BSS and They Might Be Giants as both of them are bands I am used to seeing longer set from, James Murphy made everybody dance and it was great!
1. Pavement. I'm a huge freakin' fan, and never thought I'd see them again. It was everything I could've asked for and more. Hearing Range Life, Gold Soundz, and Rattled by the Rush live was worth the entire weekend's price of admission for me.
2. National Great setlist, and you just can't take your eyes off Matt Berringer.
3. LCD Soundsystem So happy they played All My Friends, Yeah, and Daft Punk is Playing at My House.
4. Broken Social Scene Truly shocked by how great they were. What a mix of new and old stuff.
5. Drive-By-Truckers Had never seen 'em before. Love the new songs. Fun to watch.
Post by thunderroad on Jun 3, 2010 17:14:56 GMT -5
1) The DBT's, plus I got to meet them! 2) MMJ - What a set, I was not on planet Earth by the end 3) Ween - This was superb, my first time seeing them in a venue that truley represented their sound, what a show! 4) Massive Attack - Yikes! 5) They Might Be Giants - That show had everything
Post by broadwaycallz on Jun 3, 2010 18:56:45 GMT -5
1. The National- I expected them to be amazing and they did not disappoint 2. MGMT- Easily the most fun set of the weekend for me. 3. Tegan and Sara- My biggest surprise of the weekend, this came out of nowhere for me. 4. Band Of Horses 5. Broken Social Scene
Post by bradberad12 on Jun 4, 2010 14:43:09 GMT -5
Love reading everyone elses Top 5 moments. Her are mine (and they are more like moments, not total performances)
5) The Hold Steady. Watched them by myself as everyone else wanted to see the National. I was very pleased with the decision
4) Ween. They played Roses are Free, which is a song I knew from Phish covering it. I had forgotten it was an original Ween song. Danced pretty damn hard to it, as they played it better than the version I have.
3) MMJ. Great show. They started off with my two favorite songs, which definitely surprised me.
2) BSS. Although their set was a little short and bare, I love these guys everytime I see them.
1) Tallest Man On Earth. I got Backstage passes on Sunday, so I got to watch one of my favorite musicians from the side stage (which I also did with Midlake and TMBG) with a good friend. My highlight was either being the only ones dancing to Pistol Dreams, or else meeting him afterwards and offering a Canadian cigarette.
Other tidbits: - Met James Murphy (briefly). He was a nice, and sociable character. Unfortunately I was a little messed up for their show (stay away from the weed cookies next time!), but I still enjoyed it, from what I recall. - I was impressed by Patrick Watson. I didn't get to see his full set, but I will the next time he is in town. - Disappointed I missed Mumford and Sons (arrived a little layte on Saturday), and Caribou (waited far too long in line to get in). - I felt old at Sasquatch. so many underagers raving up the dance tent. Hey, at least I haven't gone grey yet; maybe next year. - Stay off the weed cookies.
1. Ween - Seen them before and wasn't shocked by how good they were, perfect ending to a great weekend. 2. LCD Sounsystem - Never listened to them before so I had no expectations going in. They fuckin rocked. 3. Public Enemy - Saw them in London a few years ago at Brixton Academy and about 14 years ago and this was the best I've seen them by far, they were on. 4. Band Of Horses - Expected them to be good but no idea that they would be that good. 5. The Hold Steady - Amazing energy, glad I chose them over the National as I was looking to dance.
1. Deadmau5 2. The Tallest Man on Earth 3. LCD Soundsystem 4. Vampire Weekend 5. The National
Honorable mentions going to Local Natives, Massive Attack, The Heavy, Mumford & Sons, Broken Social Scene, MGMT, Boys Noize.
Fuck, I mean really...every band I saw completely blew me away. The ones that I enjoyed most were really just the ones that I danced the hardest to. Except for The Tallest Man, but I literally teared up for a second when he first started playing so of course he's going to be high on my list.
My buddy baked these weed chocolate granola bar things and I ate one before going in on Sunday and it messed me up for a good 3 hours. The people in my group kept talking to me and I didn't even know how to form words in response haha. I just stood quietly and swayed back and forth to Local Natives and the Tallest Man.
Post by broadwaycallz on Jun 5, 2010 18:35:33 GMT -5
We made peanut butter weed cookies and I ate 2 right before Patton Oswalt came on stage. I was fucked up all the way up until the National finished. It was probably the best part of the festival for me. I ate another one during Band of Horses on Monday and it probably made the MGMT set seem a lot better than it actually was.