Okay let me try this again. I tried to aggregate these a few days ago, got most of the way through an awesome write-up and then my computer crashed. Anyway, here we go. The top... eighty bands we, as a whole, are most excited to see, as of right now, late-February, t-minus three or so months until the actual event. Wanna know my point system? Awesome, that makes me mysterious.
It's probably just as well the last one got disappeared, I was drunk as heck when I was writing.
How do you only get 0.25 points?
80 Beat Connection 0.25
The Low Single Digit Club
79 Here We Go Magic 1 78 Hospitality 1 77 LA Riots 1 76 Nick Kroll 1 75 Nobody Beats the Drum 1 74 Pickwick 1 73 Howard Kremer 1 72 Coeur De Pirate 2 71 Hey Rosetta! 2 70 Dum Dum Girls 3 69 Hey Marseilles 3 68 Black Whales 4 67 Blitzen Trapper 4 66 Helio Sequence 4 65 Blind Pilot 5 64 Immelda May 5.5
Congratulations to these bands, who at least one person is kinda looking forward to, assuming that none of the bands that they really like are playing at the same time on another stage and their set isn't scheduled TOO early because, fuck, I have to sleep sometime! Sorry, Coeur De Pirate, call me when you get a LATE afternoon spot.
Yes, there are bands that got no points.
The High Single Digit Club
63 Felix Cartal 6 62 M. Ward 6 61 Beardyman 6.5 60 Grouplove 7 59 Howlin' Rain 7 58 Jamey Johnson 7 57 Santigold 7 56 The Head and The Heart 7 55 Kurt Vile 7.5 54 Cass McCombs 8 53 Cave Singers 8 52 Craft Spells 8 51 Portlandia 8 50 Star Slinger 8.5 49 Active Child 9 48 Gary Clark Jr. 9 47 The Civil Wars 9 46 The Walkmen 9 45 Yellow Ostrich 9 44 Com Truise 9.25
So now we get the level where you at least have a handful of folks who are kinda excited (Grouplove got 2, 2, and 3 points for that 7) or one dude who's REAL excited (me and Yellow Ostrich, Burrito and Cass McCombs). Santigold and M. Ward are among the many bands who may have been higher had they never played the 'squatch before, but when you got lifers like us new is just better. Pretty sure "Crowd at Santigold" is a must-see, though.
Your Priorities Are Weird, Aggregate
43 araabMUZIK 10 42 I Break Horses 10 41 Purity Ring 10 40 Shabazz Palaces 10 39 Ted Leo 11.5 38 The Sheepdogs 12 37 Tycho 12 36 Apparat 12.5 35 Zola Jesus 13.25 34 Todd Barry 14 33 Nero 15 32 fun. 16 31 The War On Drugs 16.5 30 Childish Gambino 17
Firstly, araabMUZIK is better at what he does than a lot of the people above him are at what they do, but that's beside the point. Y'all put New Jersey Power Punker Ted Leo below scraggly-ass Canucks The Sheepdogs? Well, I'll have you know that the current conversion rate is 2.5 New Jerseyans to 1 Canadian, so actually the Ted Leo points have to be adjusted to reflect this.
Also, if it weren't for Spider, I Break Horses wouldn't even be on here. Instead, they're above Blitzen Trapper. What the heck, Spider.
29 Shearwater 19.5 28 Wild Flag 21 27 Mark Lanegan 22 26 SBTRKT 22 25 STRFKR 23 24 John C. Reilly & Friends 24 23 Unknown Mortal Orchestra 25.25 22 Cloud Cult 25.5
We've discussed Shearwater already, but it goes beyond that: Wild Flag is full of ladies! Mark Lanegan has a notably different-from-the-rest voice! SBTRKT and STRFKR don't use vowels! John C. Reilly is an actor! UMO is... funk? And Cloud Cult is not Cloud Nothings, so I will punish them for confusing me.
lol you are all, collectively the worst
21 The Shins 26 20 chune-Yards 27
We as a group are more excited about chune-Yards than The Shins. We as a group don't really exist in reality. We as a group are a bunch of insufferable pazz & jop hipsters. We as a group are doomed.
And again, you're excited about these? You MUST have seen them by now.
19 The Joy Formidable 33 18 Girl Talk 34 17 Little Dragon 35.5 16 Wolfgang Gartner 36 15 Silversun Pickups 38 14 James Murphy 39
Okay maybe not the rest, but how have you not seen Girl Talk by now? Hasn't he played everywhere twice? And what's with the excitement about James Murphy doin' a dang DJ set? HE AIN'T PLAYING ALL MY FRIENDS Y'ALL! As long as I'm complaining, I find Silversun Pickups to be monotonously loud in a boring way. Might just catch that set anyway though, presumably better live EVERYTHING IS BETTER LIVE
Three acts that are well below ubiquity but have a large enough fan base that two fans of theirs are not, automatically, friends
13 Feist 50 12 St. Vincent 54.5 11 Beirut 62.5
Alternatively, these three are all ABOVE the threshold of obscurity wherein below that level you can safely assume that the coffee shop playing it over its speakers is and independent chain and not just a Starbucks wearing Groucho Marx glasses (THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME).
Or, "I love that song but have yet to really bother with the album."
==THE TOP TEN==
10. The Roots Points: 66 #hashtagsareforidiots #1 for: based4yoface Why: I dunno, but I listened to Undun and it was just fine so I totally get where this is coming from. Also, you were probably motivated by the slim chance Jimmy Fallon will show up, don't lie.
9. Mogwai Points: 69.5 #hashtagsareforidiots #1 for: casts Why: Because trickle-down economics is a joke but trickle-down love for post-rock is very real and we love EITS so much that Mogwai gets a boost just for being on the same bill. Also, because they are good.
8. Spiritualized Points: 70.25 #hashtagsareforidiots #1 for: No one (#hashtagsareforidiots #2 for andimac) Why: Because, ladies and gentlemen, as long as music festivals like this one exist we are still, for whatever reason, floating through space rock. Also, I liked Hey Jane.
7. Metric Points: 73.5 #hashtagsareforidiots #1 for: No one Why: They're hear by virtue of solid appeal; the highest anyone put them was third but they are on a good handful of ballots and typically pop up in the top five when someone does know them. All of these ballots were probably from Canadians - I cannot be bothered to check. Also, Emily Haines.
5. Explosions In The Sky Points: 101.5 #hashtagsareforidiots #1 for: stingray, dontoro Why: The only non-major headliner in the top six, which must be because they are either (a) fantastic live, (b) play music so perfectly befitting the venue, or (c) both, depending on who you ask (although actually, everyone will probably answer "c"). Also, their popularity may come from the fact that they are the soundtrack to every montage made in the past ten years.
4. Bonny Bear Points: 113.5 #hashtagsareforidiots #1 for: Me Why: If your first album is classic enough, the next one only has to be a B+ for you to maintain the hype. Because I really, really hope the crowd gets into a choreographed stomp-clap to Skinny Love so that we can make some of that festival magic Bonnaroo wouldn't shut up about. Also, because some of us missed him in '09.
3. Tenacious D Points: 144 #hashtagsareforidiots #1 for: Burrito & Skeezy Why: Because it's The D.
2. Jack White Points: 174 #hashtagsareforidiots #1 for: Ketchup, andimac, ithaca, cysquatch, eazystreet Why: Because Barrett got us all excited, not that he needed to.
1. Beck Points: 228.5 #hashtagsareforidiots #1 for: Geno, Lump, xcunr, stamper, davers, Friendly, Switch, scough, RoRo, rusty, miscchoc, dingus, blacksmile Why: BECAUSE YOU ALL VOTED FOR HIM
And what's with the excitement about James Murphy doin' a dang DJ set? HE AIN'T PLAYING ALL MY FRIENDS Y'ALL!
I have no idea if James even remembers what happened that glorious evening in 2010, but if he does, I would hope he throws at least a part of that song in his set. If I am going to miss Bon Iver to see this set it better be fucking magical.
As far as Mr. Murphy goes, it's less about him playing "the hits" and more about seeing him again. Just a stellar individual, and moreover a mastermind at creating good fuckin' times. Tis a shame he'll mostly likely run up against Bonny.
I don't necessarily agree with everything in that post, but I do agree with most of it, and I respect your chutzpah for putting it together.